Reset your Android device to factory settings
You can remove data from your Android phone or tablet by resetting it to factory settings. Resetting this way is also called "formatting," or a "hard reset."
Important: A factory reset erases all your data from your device.
Note: Not all Android devices have settings in the same place or with the same names. For your specific device's settings, see your manufacturer's support site.
Step 1: Know the Google Account username & password on your device
Step 2: Back up your data to your Google Account
Step 3: Plug in & connect
- Open your device's Settings app .
- Tap System Reset. If needed, enter your PIN, pattern, or password.
Note: If your settings are different, tap Backup & reset.
- Tap Factory data reset Reset phone or Reset tablet. If needed, enter your PIN, pattern, or password.
- To erase all data from your device's internal storage, tap Erase everything.
- When your device has finished erasing, pick the option to restart.
- Set up your device and restore your backed-up data.
If you can't open your device's Settings app, you can try factory resetting your Android device using its power and volume buttons. We recommend seeing your manufacturer's support site for device-specific instructions.